Foundations of CS for Teachers: Praxis Prep
This Canvas-based online course explores and guides you through all 196 required competencies stipulated by the Praxis 5652 topic list.
June 30, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
Registration Ends: June 30, 2021, 11:59 p.m.
Duration: 8 weeks, Self-Paced
Time Required: 5 hours per week
CPEs: 40.00 CPE hours available
About this Course
The goal of this course is to help you prepare successfully for the Praxis and Pearson Computer Science Certification Tests. Following the Praxis structure, the course is divided into five modules, which will take about eight weeks of work to complete if you work a minimum of 5 hrs/week. The course components cover all the competencies listed in both sets of test standards for Computer Science certification. WeTeach_CS would like to recognize 100Kin10 for contributing financial support for course development.
The basic elements of this course include:
- Content: Videos, text, images, web-based presentations, and interactive exercises present lessons spanning the full spectrum of topics from both Praxis and Pearson competency lists.
- Diagnostic Quizzes: The pre- and post-diagnostic quizzes are for your benefit and we strongly urge you to make these the first and last things you do before taking the final quizzes. These will help you gauge how much you have learned throughout the span of the course and may help you plan how to proceed once you've finished.
- Practice Exercises: Hundreds of questions provide practice and feedback for the material presented in the lessons. These practice questions can be repeated as many times as necessary to master the material. Some questions include an explanation about the correct answer. Practice exercises do NOT affect your grade.
- Module Quizzes: Each quiz consists of questions to determine understanding and mastery of the material covered in the module. To earn continuing education credit, an 80% passing rate is required for these assessments. Each Module Quiz can be taken up to three times to achieve the desired mastery level. Each time you take a quiz, answer all questions and then choose "Submit Quiz". The last effort submitted is your official score. Correct answers to all questions will be revealed after the third attempt.
- Deadlines: The course is self-paced and can be experienced in any order you wish. Once you have registered and paid for the course, the content will always be available, even after you complete the course.
- Final Quiz: This is a 100-question quiz separated into four equal sections. It serves as a summative assessment of what you learned in the course as well as a practice run for the actual certification test. To earn continuing education credit, an 80% overall passing rate is required for this assessment combined with the module quizzes. You will be allowed only one attempt on each of these final quizzes.
- Course Sequence: Finally, you control how you experience this course. We feel the sequence created is the best approach, but you are welcome to complete the course in any order you see fit.
- Perpetual access to all instructional materials and videos in the course, even after course completion and authorization to use them for instruction in your own CS classroom.
What You'll Learn
- Module 1: Impacts of Computing
- Module 2: Algorithms and Computational Thinking
- Module 3: Programming
- Module 4: Data
- Module 5: Computing Systems and Networking
- View the Syllabus
Enrollment Access Code
Purchase an access code for one or more people. The access code must be redeemed by the number of persons selected at checkout to complete enrollment.Purchase Access Code
Already have a code?Redeem code here >
"This class is well developed and cohesive. I come from a math background with minimal Computer Science experience and I certainly learned a lot. The videos were helpful and conveyed the learning targets in a easy to understand manner."
Anne Arundel County Public Schools | Computer Science Teacher
"My bachelor's is in accounting, my master's in teaching, and I was able to pass the test the first time through. I loved the platform of the course and being able to work at my own pace."